Saturday, May 1, 2010

New Opportunity

It has been a week since I have been in my new teaching position- long term teacher in third grade. The teacher I am replacing underwent a surgery and she was able to plan the whole year out for me! I was tutoring in her class since January every day for about an hour. I am relieved to say they are a great group of students and she has done a great job "training" them to be the students they are today. We get to do some fun projects the next few weeks, weaving and clay making for Mother's Day, Native American studies, animal reports, and of course the always fun FRACTIONS!! (sigh) I did try to make the fractions interesting by reading the Hershey Fractions book and bringing in some real Hershey candy bars (too bad I had didn't know that 2 students were allergic to chocolate). The students loved the book and the treat of course. It is such a hard concept to learn; 2/2, 1/1,12/12 equal 1 whole? During the lesson I was relieved to hear some students say "Oh, I get it" "oh, it's 12 pieces but 1 candy bar!" mission accomplished! Now if I can just get everyone's interest for their new story of the week and make decimals clear to them!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids like your music and are requesting Lady Gaga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yungteach951
    Congratulations on your new teaching position. Don’t you love the "Oh, I get it" moments. To teachers they are our quarterly bonuses. Do you think you will have an opportunity to incorporate a Blog with your class? My daughters (twins in 5th grade) have teachers who post homework assignments and links to resources there is no communication between students and teachers or student to student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your enthusiasm and your blog. The music is magical and soothing to hear! I wish for you that you continue to relish teaching as you do today. Try using an orange to teach fractions- we had to stop using candy in school due to our wellness policy so we had to find alternatives!

    ReplyDelete