Sunday, June 27, 2010

Integrating Technology Into the Classroom Reflection

During my recent classroom course I have broadened my knowledge and experience on understanding the impact of technology on education, work, and society. I have realized that integrating technology into my lesson plans does take time and is not needed for every single assignment; however, I know how important it is to teach our young children the foundations of technology. Since being introduced to the 21st Century Organization and exploring their website, I have learned how crucial technology will be in my students’ future and careers.

Since most young children today already use a wide variety of technology in their lives, it is challenging to re-teach them how to use the internet for example, in an effective and safe manner. In their generation the idea that you can find anything on the internet has been ingrained in them and the thought of reading anything online by any imaginable source can be overwhelming. I have learned that it is my job as an educator to teach students how to find reliable information and also using precaution when posting anything online. I have also learned that many of my students are very creative in the assignments they complete and for me to act as more of a guide than a dictator. I have learned from my students that many of them use the computer and other technologies daily in their personal lives and educational lives as well.

Some ways I plan to continue my knowledge of learning, teaching, and leading with technology to increase student achievement is to continue to read educational journals, articles, and blogs so I can stay up to date on the latest research and technologies. I also plan to attend a variety of educational conferences and seminars to learn from experienced educators and researchers. In order for me to transform my classroom environment I plan to work with my school’s administration to have a space where students can use computers with their class at a scheduled time and also on their free time such as after school or during lunch recess. I hope that having a space for a computer lab will cause other teachers to integrate technology into their lessons as well. My second goal for my own classroom is to begin a classroom website at the beginning of the year that includes my student’s goals for the school year as well as an introduction of themselves. I will also have students posting reflections about work created, various discussions about what we have learned, and contributing to online study guides for various subjects.

During the first week of this course I completed a checklist of my skills and practices that I currently use in my classroom. Since that time I have changed my answers in regards to my participation in developing a vision for technology integration as a leader in my school. I have been more involved in the decisions our school makes in regards to technology, as I have attended leadership meetings with my colleagues. In the future, I plan to seek our other professionals at my school site and in the larger global community to learn from and collaborate with to benefit my school and students.

No comments:

Post a Comment